Tuesday 29 July 2014

TV News Summer Project (part 6)

This is part 6 of my TV News Summer Project 

Thursday 24th July - BBC Breakfast, 8:00-8:20

The main news stories and the order they were broadcast in were:

1. Commonwealth Games opening ceremony and introduction to first day of events to take place today.
2. Philip Hammond is talking to the Israeli Leader about the Gaza conflict.
3. There is a review of the execution process of an inmate after he took 2 hours to die when it should have taken 10 minutes.
4. It's been alleged that police spied on the family of a 20 year old murder victim whose mother was campaigning for an inquiry into his death.
5. UK investigators are looking at the Black Box recorder from the Malaysian plane crash.
6. MP says he has 'deep regret' for actions that led to common assault on his ex partner earlier this year.

I think that story 1 came first because the Commonwealth Games is almost as important and exciting for the public as the Olympics or the World Cup and it's even more exciting than usual because it's being held this year in Glasgow, in Scotland, in the UK. Story 2 is a little bit different than what they usually talk about when it comes to the Gaza conflict and I think this is because people might be getting a bit distressed and worried by the rising death toll and so I think the BBC thought that the public deserved a bit of a break from all the talk/details about the death and fighting and that they deserved to hear something a bit less frightening/death related. The next 2 stories are interesting because they are stories that haven't been broadcast yet so the risk of the public getting bored of hearing the same stories over and over again would decrease. Story 5, focusing on the Malaysian plane crash is the penultimate story because there haven't been many developments/other crashes/deaths since the plane crashed and so there wouldn't be anything worth reporting before any of the first 4 stories. Finally, story 6 is reported now for similar reasons as stories 3 and 4, mainly because it's a new story that we haven't heard yet so for that reason, more people will watch it.

2 comments:

  1. WWW: Wow - this is truly spectacular! A stunning summer project that shows huge commitment to Media. This is clearly the work of someone who will be aiming for A* in this subject. Each aspect of the project is completed in detail with particular attention on task 4, the most time-consuming element. Hugely impressive!
    EBI: BBC Breakfast is a good choice of programme but I think you could look over the target audience again. Perhaps more female viewers? Older? Think about who is at home to watch TV at that time in the morning.
    LR: Do you regularly watch the programme you researched? Why/why not? Where do you get your news from? Answer in a comment below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't regularly watch BBC Breakfast because my mornings on a weekday consist of me getting ready for school, so I can't get distracted, and on a weekend, I'm still asleep at the time the news is on. An exception to this would be that on a weekday, if my Dad is already up and watching the news, I will sit and watch it with him while I'm e.g. putting my shoes on or getting my bag ready. I also sometimes watch the BBC News at 6 and 10 with my parents because they want to watch it so if I'm really bored I will watch it with them.

    ReplyDelete